Engineers, architects, surveyors and solicitors gathered at the Engineers Ireland Donegal event in Letterkenny this week gave a strong response to the HD McKay presentation on Defective Concrete Blocks. During my presentation, I outlined the background to the problem, as follows:
- It would appear there is an issue with the concrete blocks which is causing them to become friable (crumble and crack) with continuous deterioration.
- These cracks may look like normal settlement cracks or defective plasterwork at the early stages.
- However, the cracking gets worse over time. In most cases the cracks start to appear around five years or sometimes longer after construction.
- Upon further investigation it becomes apparent the actual concrete blocks beneath the plaster can be easily broken. In some instances the defective concrete blocks can be broken with as little effort as rubbing them with your fingers.
- Following the build up of a local campaign, which I fully support, I have called on the Government to set up a redress scheme for Donegal homeowners, similar to the Pyrite scheme in Leinster.
Here’s what the defective blocks look like: Crumbling Blocks video
If you want to find out more, see my full presentation, here Defective Concrete Blocks Presentation – HD McKay Consulting Engineers or contact me on Tel: +353 (0) 74 91 29243 Email: email@example.com